Sunday, May 23, 2010

A month in...

This week's excitement at the remodel was provided by one of the framers who cut off his thumb... apparently he first went to St. Marks Hospital and the surgeon wasn't there so he took an ambulance ride up to University Hospital where the doctor asked if he was right or left handed and he told him "Does it really matter Doc?  I want them both!"  The good news is that his thumb was successfully reattached and the doctor expects him to make a full recovery.  And I have to admit that after I heard about this I had to check for blood, not because I was worried about blood stains in my house but because I was thinking that had to be a pretty good bleeder... what a geek, huh?  But I didn't see any signs of a cutoff thumb.  My friends at work started joking that Salsa might have enjoyed playing with it... I can just see us trying to chase her down to take away a thumb from her... 

Last week at our walk through the contractor asked if I had my heart set on keeping my old siding and I told him I just didn't think I could afford to reside the whole house, but I was planning on it in a few years.  He told me he thought he'd found me a great deal... he needed to go run the numbers, but if he was right, would I let him reside my house for his pride?  We discussed numbers and agreed on an amount... and Monday when I drove by and saw this:


I figured he'd worked out my great deal... new siding - yahoo!  Other than that, this week was all the electrician... poor guy...  this is what he had to start working with:



This is what he's moving everything to:



And here's some of the results - holy cow!!  How can he keep track of everything?





And last, but certainly not least... for my brother the structural engineer...  the new saddle and ceiling beam on the main floor:

And the new structural beam in the basement:
Hope they meet your approval!!

No comments: